The Kingdom of Horses
I finally watched Kingdom of Heaven with The Boy the other day. The show itself was all right. I much preferred Gladiator. Because Orlando Bloom, much as I enjoy imagining him tied to my bed, just can't carry a movie all by his lonesome. Even worse when you stick him right in the middle of acting luminaries like Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson, and Edward Norton. It's like striking a match alight next to a supernova. No contest. And damn it, Orlando Bloom is just too pretty. He just ended up looking pretty and concerned, or pretty and heroic, or pretty and tired, or pretty and determined. It's hard to take him seriously as a defender of the people when you're wondering what foundation he uses.
"Slinky, will you marry me if I promise to be your dog?"
But the horses, oh my god. The one thing I liked about this show more than Gladiator was the horses. They were magnificent. They stole the show from Orlando Bloom entirely. There's something about a horse. You never really get an accurate sense of the sheer size and power of one until you're standing right next to them. Then you feel the smooth planes of muscles just under the sleek hide and it always comes as a shock as to how unbelievably perfect they look. That scene in the desert when Orlando Bloom manages to grab hold of the reins of that gorgeous black? I was watching the horse more than Bloom, half-unbuttoned shirt be damned.
And when they run, it's like watching music unfurl on screen. Ridley Scott did these breathtaking close-ups of all that flat, smooth muscle bunching under glossy hides, the wide deep chests and the graceful, clean legs all moving in unison, the pounding hooves on desert sand striking a thunderous sort of symphony. It takes your breath away.
Eat your heart out, Bloomy
Ridley Scott sure knows a good horse when he sees one. Pity about the casting.
4 Comments:
- Claire Madeleine commented:
I log onto your blog and you are talking about what I spent an hour talking about today.
Horses.
My workmate and I are two girls who were lucky enough to grow up in the middle of nowhere (her Wales, me Perth) so we actually got to grow up around horses.
And we spent an hour just swapping stories of fat ponies, hideous riding accidents, the pain of parting from an adored animal and just how blissful it is to have them blow softly in your ear and nuzzle you with those SOFT lips.
And the muscles - no better pleasure than running your hands over flesh that was created only to be beautiful and powerful.
I am with you Slinky on the horse front.
Now, Orlando, blonde or brunette?- » May 18, 2005 7:04 AM
- Slinky commented:
Unfortunately, growing up in a country like this means little or no access to horses, so my contact with them is limited. But like every other little girl out there when my parents asked me what I wanted for my brithday, it was always "A horse!" (Which, as time went on and that request got increasingly rejected, was amended to "if not that, then a dog, and if not that, then hamsters." I wish I were as lucky as you, to have grown up around them.
Despite having limited contact with them, though, there's just something fascinating and compelling about them which the passage of time has failed to dim. I think you put it perfectly when you say that they are basically created solely to be beautiful and powerful. I've gone riding in Perth and the sheer power you feel when they gallop makes you want to scream in sheer exhilaration. One day I'm gonna get me one of thsoe babies, yep.
As for Orlando, that is a toughie. I have to say that I am curiously struck by the pointy elf ears and that silver-blond hair. But I traditionally dig brunettes. (all dilemmas should be this pleasurable) I think I'll go with brunette, but only because you put me in a corner. : )- » May 18, 2005 10:11 AM
- Claire Madeleine commented:
ah, I hope you get the chance to do MUCH more horse riding!
I too am a brunet lover myself, blonds do absolutely nothing for me - EXCEPT Orlando as Legolas!
He made the only blond that I have ever truely fancied - possibly because I KNEW he was a brunet under all that prettiness.
*claire gazes off in a lustful haze of LOTR daydreams*
*ahem*
If you like irreverence, have a squiz at this ...
http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/
Quality laughs - I'm still the prettiest ...- » May 19, 2005 7:11 AM
- Slinky commented:
Claire, if all goes to plan, I will be living breathing and sleeping horses in a while. *rubs hands together in gleeful anticipation*
Yep, never liked the blondes either, until Legolas. Must be the bow and arrow thing. And the pointy ears. And all that hair. Mmmmmmmmm....
I LOVED that link, btw!- » May 19, 2005 11:00 AM
