Title, Sidebar and Description __________________________________
< Does Not Play Well With Others
Stalking and occasionally maiming life's sacred cows in the urban jungle

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Naive

I used to think that love was flowers and sunshine and split-cheek smiles all the way, with the occasional rainbow thrown in for good measure. I used to think that you'd know when you met the someone you were meant to be with, because your heart would stop and start again with a force that would bring you to your knees. I thought that you would feel complete and the other half of you that was torn away from you when you were born had finally found its way home, and you could properly breathe again.

I thought love would be making your life bigger because you've added someone else in it. That you would stay up late at night talking about life and the universe, like you best friend when you were young, but infinitely better. I thought being in love meant being happy whenever your other half was by your side, and missing them when they were gone, talking to them as often as you could simply because you missed the sound of their voice. I imagined that you would always feel safe and loved, and that you would never feel fear or hurt, because there was someone else to take life's bumps with you, and soften the blows. I used to think that love was about finally being able to let your guard down, to be able to be honest and open and have all the barriers which we always have with other people, the physical, the mental, the emotional, finally disappear. I thought it would involve perfect trust, total understanding, mutual respect, and always being able to laugh, no matter what.

It must be someone else's fairytale, not mine, or yours.

8 Comments:
Blogger Anthony commented:

I'm sorry to hear this.

» October 29, 2006 2:01 PM 
Blogger Slinky commented:

Ah well. To misquote drastically, "Into every life, a little cynicism must crawl."

The scales fell from Saul's eyes on the Road to Damascus. I guess mine fall now.

» October 31, 2006 1:39 AM 
Blogger -ben commented:

Hey Slinky,

*BIG HUGS*

» October 31, 2006 1:43 PM 
Blogger Slinky commented:

Grauitious hugs - always good.

Hey, I hear you're in Singapore now. How long will you be there? Because I come abck in three weeks time (woohoooo) and it might be nice to put a face to the name.

» October 31, 2006 4:28 PM 
Blogger Slinky commented:

Bah. Spelled 'gratuitous' wrongly.

» October 31, 2006 4:29 PM 
Blogger -ben commented:

A year. Two at most. Family reasons. Dang, you are willingly returning to Singapore? :P

» October 31, 2006 11:05 PM 
Blogger Slinky commented:

Are you kidding? I hurl myself into the humid stinky embrace of Singapore like a comet hurled through the cosmos by Zeus himself. The Boy, my friends, and the dog is at home. The DJARUM is at home.

You forget, I reside in the backside of the world, where life stops when the clock hits five. Where even Bill Bryson, he who had an entire bookful of things to say about the Appalachian trial, which is basically a whole bunch of trees and possibly bears, had nothing nice to say. And I. Have. No. Car.

» November 01, 2006 3:09 PM 
Blogger -ben commented:

Dang, and I had such romantic notions of Down Under. Few people, open roads, vast outbacks, nasty spiders; a boxing match or two with a male kangaroo...

I guess I will have to reconsider taking my bicycle on a bike tour of Australia (someday). :-)

» November 01, 2006 6:36 PM 

Post a Comment

« Back to Main Page

Email me if you really insist


The Best of Slinky

On who Slinky is
On death
On letting go
On the Maldives
On how to pack for the Maldives
On fishing
On knowledge
On being happy
On love
On pain
On alternate worlds
On power
On not being a sheep
On the military
On Slinky's Top 10
On Slinky's band
On the Slinky Quiz
On baking
On drinking with Slinky
On Russian dining
On birthday presents

Who Links Here




Disclaimer

Read before fucking around with me


Slinkyworthy

The Best Movie Review Site Ever
SheHulk
The Hot Librarian
The Lawyer Writer
Canadian Thoughts in Texas
The Anonymous Lawyer
A Need for the Truth
Popagandhi
MercerMachine
Outrageous.Beautiful.Misfit
JaG
The Smitten
Big Daddy Jones
Absolutely April
The Snakehead
Tossed My Salad
Cour Marly
PostSecret
I Don't Eat Kittens For Lunch
Pink Is The New Blog
Mr. Wang Says So
But Enough About You
Confetti in the Wind
The Bitter Stickgirl
Kingsley Rules
So Does Bear
And Herbie


Kitten Heels

Go Fug Yourself
The Bunny Shop
The Manolo
Give Me Spirit Fingers, Damn It!
Hot Bisexual Model
Guise
Asian Leprechauns
Catwalk Queen
She Finds


The Scratching Post

Tech for Girl Geeks
SuicideGirls
deviantART
Digital Blasphemy
Dogster
German Shepherd Dog Club Singapore
United Schutzhund Club of America
VetInfo
KingSnake


Dog Hash