Tidings of comfort and joy
I changed my mind, because everything in the previous post was written before Christmas day proper.
Christmas rocks.
The big boss of the firm called me in half an hour before our Christmas office party. Fearing the worst (re: my salary and my month-long absence from the office due to my mysterious illness) I did so with some trepidition. He then told me that I knew that the shareholders only sat down to decide this year's bonus next year, by which time I would be gone.
Then he told me that since I wouldn't be around, they have decided to give me a 'token of appreciation' anyway, for all my hard work. Then he proceeded to give me a cheque generous enough to make my eyes pop. Then told me that he had spoken to my colleagues and The Boss, and that it was his opinion, and theirs, that if I had stayed on, I would have made a damned fine lawyer, then proceeded to tell me that if I ever changed my mind, I was welcome back to the firm any time.
I
was
GOBSMACKED.
I had to restrain myself from running around his large mahogany desk and hugging the life out of him and screaming like a teenage fangirl.
Then on Christmas day proper, my parents proceeded to spoil me rotten because I will be leaving next year. Despiet the fact that we had placed my father under a $20 gift limitation, he merrily went to flout it in the most spectacular way possible, and got me this:

I don't have a digital camera, and my old Olympus (a veteran of many mind-blowing holidays) was finally biting the dust, but I never told him, but I really wanted one. It's like fuckin' magic.
Slinky: "This isn't $20!"
Slinky's dad: "Yes it is."
Slinky: "Is not!"
Slinky's dad: "It is. I asked the girl, 'What do you have for $20?' and she showed me this one, so I bought it."
Slinky: "Daddy, that's not true!"
Slinky's dad: "It is! I only paid $20."
And my mother gives me the most amazing card. And puts a cheque in it. With a lot of zeros, holy hell.
And I get this.

And I go to the Only Friend's house and his parents give me a present, and tell me, "Where were you last night, we missed you!" and hug me because they're glad to see me. And they get excited as schoolkids over the news that I leave soon to chase the dream.
And Christmas night is with the company of friends, and the day (and night) is filled with love and laughter and almost everything is right with the world.
3 Comments:
- adrock2xander commented:
OMG...buffy...a digicam...money...it's offical...
i...hate...j00...- » December 26, 2005 4:43 PM
- Anthony commented:
Ah,
It's finally safe to be smug and wish you a merry christmas.- » December 26, 2005 11:53 PM
- Slinky commented:
Adrock - this is balanced against a CRAP Christmas eve and some kid shitting in my bathtub and then me taking a bath in said bathtub. Life is fair.
Oh, did I mention that I got Firefly too?
Anthony - smug about what exactly? And merry christmas to you too.- » December 27, 2005 12:15 AM
